The era of autonomous organisations holding a monopoly position with their product or service is fading and increasingly organisations find themselves in ever more competitive environments where the key to success is not only through internal efficiency, but also by judicious collaboration with suppliers, outsourcing partners and competitors. In order that businesses can operate successfully in the current environment they are being forced to find new approaches to operating through restructuring, changing their organisational behaviour, modifying their internal and external boundaries, and establishing additional techniques for measuring performance.
At the end of the course delegates may sit an examination to attain the BCS certificate in Commercial Awareness
Evaluating a Financial Case
Purpose of Building a Financial Case; Techniques used for evaluating a Financial Case
Budgeting, Costing and Pricing
Budgets and Departmentalised Businesses; Cash Flow and Cash Management; Costing and Pricing
Financial Reporting and Analysis
Balance Sheet; Income and Expenditure; Cash Flow Statement; Ratios (formulae and interpretation)
Market analysis and competitive advantage
Analysing the business domain; Analysing the portfolio; Delivering value
Organisational behaviour and culture
What is organisational behaviour? Organisational effectiveness and the Balanced Scorecard; Understanding and analysing culture
Groups and group dynamics; Formal and informal groups
Principles of organisational structure
Organisation structuring; Types of jobs; Line, staff and functional relationships; Formalisation of rules and procedures; Centralisation v decentralisation
Organisation structures and their characteristics; Organisational boundaries
- understand three techniques used to evaluate a financial case.
- understand costing and pricing.
- understand cash flow forecasting and budgeting.
- describe the contents of financial accounting documents.
- interpret financial accounts.
- explain specified business performance ratios.
- define the elements and usage of Porter’s Five Forces Framework and Value Chain.
- define the elements and usage of the Boston Consulting Group’s matrix.
- define the performance measures and usage of the Balanced Business Scorecard.
- define the elements of specified cultural analysis approaches.
- explain the different management structures and their characteristics.
- define the different architectures that may be adopted by organisations.
- Those wishing to acquire a basic level of understanding about business finance and behavioural influences.
- Those wishing to attain the BCS Certificate in the Commercial Awareness.
Type: Computer-based or paper-based 40multiple-choice questions
Duration: 60 minutes. Candidates sitting the examination in a language other than their native language have 25% extra time
Pass Score:65% and above(26 Out of 40